View Single Post
Old October 4, 2018   #3
BlackBear
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I must have forgotten something,but what is the origin of what you are calling Black Bear variety?

Carolyn
The actual Variety "Black Bear " Indet., regular leaf plants. Large purple/black beefsteak fruits are quite juicy, and have excellent flavor. 8-12 oz

I gots them from Tatiana …

I leave the history quote from her database :

History
Russian origin.
First introduced in SSE 2008 Yearbook by Neil Lockhart of Oblong, Illinois (IL LO N), who obtained seeds from Reinhard Kraft, Neukirchen, Germany .
Reinhard Kraft received seeds from Andrey Baranovski of Minsk, Belarus with a translated name that he felt was racially discriminatory. As it appeared to be a great tomato, Mr. Kraft chose a nice neutral name for it - 'Black Bear' - and shared seeds under this new name.
The original Russian name for this tomato was Negrityonok. However, Negrityonok is a much smaller tomato compared to what Reinhard Kraft, Neukirchen, Germany observed in his growouts. It is obvious that just environmental growing conditions could not be responsible for such a huge difference in fruit sizes, therefore it makes sense to consider Black Bear tomato a different strain.

I grew them again this year ….they are BIG ...Prolific ….Flavourful ….

but I had problems with the concentric splitting ...more than my other varieties …

so close......but so far …...LOL