View Single Post
Old July 26, 2015   #1
AKmark
Tomatovillian™

Default Favorite market heirlooms for the grower

I have selected these from several hundred varieties that I have grown in a greenhouse for markets. I want tomatoes that have few # 2's as we call ugly, catfaced or cracked fruit, and the taste must be consistent, and awesome.

Red beefsteaks - 1) Chapman 2) Delicious, or Andrew Rahart's Jumbo Red. These produced good yields of super tasting, and near perfect looking heirlooms. I think Chapman may taste the best, maybe... but Delicious is a monster yielding strain for me, just awesome.

Pink beefsteak- 1) Crnkovik Yugoslavian 2) German Johnson, Benton's. GJ Benton's is very meaty, few seed cavities, but the flesh is tasty. CY rarely cracks, and it is super good.

Yellow Beefsteak- Yellow Brandywine, Platfoot strain, massive yield, pick off ugly tomatoes, I did not grow enough of these, customers always came back for more after buying one upon my suggestion to do so. I have learned these do like the south side much better than the north side of my greenhouse.

Standard reds- 1) Maidens Kiss 2) Druzba 3) and you can't go wrong with E. Girl hybrid from Burpee. MK threw me some good yields of very good tasting 5 oz fruit

Purple- 1)Eva Purple Ball, 2) Momotaro hybrid is very good too, and I got better yield than EPB

Orange beefsteak- I like the look of Amana Orange, but KBX is really good to, and both taste great.

I did a u pick cherry this year on small scale, where folks can come and just pick their own, this may be a good labor saving idea it seems so far, and people always fall over when they see the other tomatoes anyway. lol
That's all I have to report
AKmark is offline   Reply With Quote