View Single Post
Old August 4, 2009   #97
AmandaKerik
Tomatovillian™

I mentioned that my digital camera was out of service, but I recently got a new one and:

It has been incredibly hot this last week and I haven't been paying it (or any parts of my garden) any attention or water, so you can see the stress... but still... it looks good!
Just after I took this pic I noticed some red among the leaves and found my first tomato of the season. It was good (about an inch and a half), with a smokey flavour, lots of flesh and a nice snappy tang right at the end.

The other plants in the pic are (left to right):
Calendula and marigolds, chocolate mint, spreading lemon thyme, nasturtiums and hot (!!!) ornamental peppers.

This week is going to be a more reasonable temperature, so I'll be able to go outside and coax them all back to being happy.

I think this is a good time to water them all with fertilizer, epsom salts and calcium, eh?

I've wondered about the general concensus of using balled up comfrey leaves in the soil? (balled up so it drains properly and lasts longer - the stuff's potent!), especially as it tends to have a lot of calcium and other nutrients?
AmandaKerik is offline   Reply With Quote