View Single Post
Old December 25, 2011   #11
darwinslair
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete092775 View Post
so darwin do you think it would be possible if i had just say 6 or 7 spots say 12 by 12 or so like they do pumpkins and train them bury the end of the vine at say 10 feet so now both ends are rooted and all suckers have been removed maybe leaving one. lots of work i know but a world record will require alot of work and LUCK but look at them pumpkin guys they get near divorces over there patches thats the dedication it will take i think.
<laughing> i have to quit posting when I am exhausted.

I thought you were talking about tomatoes. I have never caged squashes and dont know why you would. The people I know that grow absolutely giant squashes DO prune them to one vine and one fruit once they have a pollinated flower. On top of that they till in a square yard of composted manure per plant. THey also build sun screens over the fruit and give it a ton of water and fertilizer once it is growing. One friend of mine even wicks raw milk into the stem below the fruit using candle wicks. Seems to work for him. Every year he gets them up to a quarter ton.

However these things taste like crap and I have no interest in growing them. <smile> I do grow some squashes up to about 40 pounds, but they are good tasting long keeper squashes. Always feel better putting a dozen of those in the basement for the winter along with all of the smaller ones.

Tom
darwinslair is offline   Reply With Quote