View Single Post
Old July 19, 2014   #49
Father'sDaughter
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokenbar View Post
And actually, the different "Costolutos" are all very nearly the same (although there is some evidence that some have very different taste even 'tho their appearance is very similar) it is just that they acquired regional names, ie: Genovese (Genoa), Fiorentino (Florence) Parma (Parma). The one I want really bad and can't find is Cantanese which has been grown since the 16th century. (and still cannot figure out the derivative of Cantanese) and there are others " Costoluto di Pachino"(Sicily and almost not fluted)) Costoluto Chivasso (Basso Canavese & Chivassese Po River/Turin) and a couple of others.

While we're on the subject of Costolutos, what's the deal with Fiorentino? It's the one of the bunch that's not listed as a paste. Is it really that different from the others that it's considered a slicer?

I am growing it for the first time this year and so far it's behaving much like the it's Genovese cousin -- big, stocky plant that loaded up early with dozens of fruit. Nothing on either plant is showing any color yet, so it'll be a while before I can compare them for myself.
Father'sDaughter is offline   Reply With Quote