View Single Post
Old August 1, 2019   #12
SueCT
Tomatovillian™

I have run the gamit. Grew up on a sauce that cooked for hours on the stove. Then I discovered a simple margarita sauce with canned tomatoes, fresh garlic, fresh basil and salt and pepper to taste. Then I started making that sauce with tomatoes canned from the garden. Then I started making my version of the long cooking sauce I grew up with but with fresh tomatoes. I have come full circle. I love both. I love the simple, fresh just barely cooked sauce. Tastes like fresh tomatoes. On the downside, it just doesn't stick well to pasta. I drink what is left when the pasta is gone, it is so good. But it doesn't hold up well to sitting on top of chicken, eggplant or veal for Parmesan. The long cooking sauce is thicker, more complex, has a stronger flavor and sticks well on pasta, coats meatballs and the taste stands up to both meatballs and sausage, especially if you want to use them on a grinder/sub, and it sits on top of meat or eggplant for a classic Parmesan, etc. There just isn't a right/wrong here. You will find both in my freezer right now.
SueCT is offline   Reply With Quote