View Single Post
Old December 29, 2007   #2
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

My initial question is how difficult is it to acquire germplasm for the varieties you have listed?

Let's forget the "heirloom" tag for a second and say open-pollinated, and in that regard, there is plenty of desire and activity in finding new tomato varieties that come true from seed from year to year. Look at the dwarf project. It continues to mushroom and there may be two dozen new varieties that get selected out of it.

As much as people are affected by TSWV even on this forum, I'd say that if someone made seeds available of some of the varieties above, we could see our first F1 crosses in 2008 and start getting some stabilized varieties by 2012.

The most challenging part will be confirming TSWV resistance (I am using the word resistance here because to my knowledge, the varieties listed do not succumb to TSWV at all, but instead are just carriers -- someone correct me if I am wrong). With some of the reports posted in the other thread, any tomato variety that is not TSWV-resistant will get wiped out fast enough to be obvious, if not scientifically proven.

Thoughts?

[I][SIZE="1"]*I'm not allowed to post weblinks so you'll have to copy-paste it manually.[/SIZE][/I]
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote