View Single Post
Old February 12, 2010   #30
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
I just answered your PM on that and yes, they should be the same.

About Sierra Leone. I don't have my 2010 yearbook here in the back room, I'm still in the process of memorizing all the blurbs, ahem, but if that was listed by JK from MT then I know it b'c she sent me seeds and I grew it last summer. I didn't get enough seeds to list but you seem to be mentioning it as a stuffer, and it sure wasn't for me. it was a large red, meaty beefsteak with excellent taste.

I went the stuffer route many years ago and grew even more when I was selling to restaurants, but the chef's and I agreed that most of them were fibrous in nature and it was better to just grow a regular non-stuffer, scoop out the inside and be able to eat the whole thing without that sometimes tough cell wall,

I just remembered that Jeanne had sent seeds of Sierra Leone to Tania as well so here's her description and she does say for her it was semi-hollow, but it sure wasn't for me.

http://tatianastomatobase.com/wiki/Sierra_Leone
Carolyn, Here is Tanya's description:
B.C KO T - HAS -</B>days, indet., regular leaf, irregularly but beautifully shaped ribbed red fruits that are semi-hollow inside. Nice mild flavor with some acidity. Perfect for stuffing. Most fruits are in 6-10 oz range, but the largest fruit was 24 oz. , Seeds saved by Julie Swanson from a fruit that she bought in a farmer's market in Sierra Leone (West Africa). Lucie shared the seed with Jeanne Krenning of Montana (MT KR J), who, in turn, shared it with me for 2009 growouts. , MT KR J 09 / Sierra Leone (West Africa) market
SSE TOMATO