View Single Post
Old May 26, 2019   #4
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Bill the complete opposite has happened here in this part of Texas. Today, May 26, is the first forecasted day of 90 degrees - that's almost unheard of here. It has been too wet with more rain in the forecast for Wednesday. However with exception of rosebushes getting black spot - I haven't seen any kind of fungal effects on the tomato and pepper plants. There has also been less bug damage than I expected. This is the year of spiders in my neck of the woods. They could be doing their job eating the insects. There have not been a lot of pollinators either which is not a good thing.

About leaffooted bugs, I have intentionally mowed around thistle plants. Leaffooted bugs love thistles - even more than tomatoes it seems. I haven't found anything that would suggest leaffooted damage on the thistle plants. I'm using the thistles as my early warning plants. I learned this a few years ago in the last in-ground garden I planted. The thistle plants were attacked by the leaffooted bugs before the tomatoes started ripening, and then they moved to the tomato garden - ruining it.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote