View Single Post
Old July 18, 2006   #2
wjpurdy
Tomatovillian™

Yep. Lovely little things. I just harvested eight of them from my four plants this morning & I'm trying to decide what to do with them. I found a recipe for stuffed eggplants in an Indian cookbook that looks mighty tasty -- that'll take care of 6 -- and the other two might wind up in a ratatouile tomorrow.

I also planted Thai Purple Eggs (one of the plants is producing identical ping pong ball-sized fruits, but ghost white instead of that pretty lavender) -- GREAT in stir fries -- and Rosa Bianca, which to date has produced three MASSIVE, ribbed, fist-shaped lavender things that grill up with a delicious deep creaminess I have never experienced in an eggplant (the Listada di Gandia, by the way, grill up a bit more meaty, with a firmer bite and a slight but by no means offputting bitterness).

Production has been far beyond my expectations with all three varieties, despite the japanese beetle scourge (I let 'em run their course) and, now, the tomato hornworm scourge (numbers in check for now). It's my first garden since moving to the Raleigh area, and I could not be more pleased with the results.
wjpurdy is offline   Reply With Quote