View Single Post
Old February 10, 2006   #13
Andrey_BY
Tomatovillian™

Thanks. I just want my avatar to be friendly and self-speaking
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael johnson
Andrey- I realy do like your personal Avitar its very sharp and almost magic like in appearence I dont know where you found it but its very good.

Unfortunaely we have no seaweed meal here.
Regarding cold tolerant tomatoes, a lot of people have had phenominal success by using seaweed meal worked into the top soil of either pots or ground especialy in the high mountain areas of america, and they say there is something in the trace elements it contains that goes into the plants and stops cell damage so that ordinary varieties of tomatoes can withstand many degrees colder than they could tolerate normaly even mild frost once or twice and still come out of it alright.

I couldnt vouch for it personaly its only what I have read is possible, even though I do use seaweed meal as a top dressing and lightly fork it in.

I know it. You are very fond of any kind of Top of the tops in America :wink:
What can I say. Flavor and taste are very subjective question. But I can say about productivity even if there is always more hard work with indeterminate/vine tomatoes. Most productive varieties I have are Yubileyny Tarasenko, Pertsevidny, Cosmonaut Volkov, The King of Giants, Novikov's Giant, Unikalny and Vezha. The King of Giants and Novikov's Giant have the biggest fruits among them.
Andrey- there is just one more question that I have been dying to ask you since you joined Tomatoville, out of your long list of available varieties you have from eastern Europe /Russia/ etc, the 64,000 $ Dollar question is - if you were to pick just four of those varieties out of all that lot, which ones would you pick as your personal preference for ( 1 )- Flavour and taste, ( 2 ) preferably tall determinate types with easy managment and good production .

Andrey a.k.a. TOMATODOR
Andrey_BY is offline   Reply With Quote