View Single Post
Old May 4, 2019   #20
DonDuck
Tomatovillian™

I've used the same commercial plastic germinating cells (six pack) and grow cups and pots for many years. I wash them and store them stacked for the next grow season. I don't have any fond memories about my containers except they work well. My fond memories are of planting seed in the soil and watching them germinate and grow. I started doing that when I was a kid and seed was cheap. I continued doing it that way until I built a light table eight or ten years ago. I would still be planting seed in the soil, but in our area; growing under lights gives me the necessary jump on the season with tomatoes and peppers. I still plant most of my garden by planting seed in the soil. I find satisfaction getting my hands in the dirt.

I also save other containers stuff comes in from the grocery store. Those blue/green "swifter" pad containers make good mass germinating pots. I planted 25 small onion seedlings in them this year and gave them to ladies who like to harvest onion greens from the window sill in the kitchen. They are also good for growing herbs in the window sill. The large ones are about four inches deep and hold plenty of soil. Wash them good before you use them.

Last edited by DonDuck; May 4, 2019 at 04:15 PM.
DonDuck is offline   Reply With Quote