View Single Post
Old December 25, 2014   #1
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Default Climbing-Trellising Squash Ideas Welcomed

A few years back, I read about trellising cucumbers to save garden space. I liked the idea and tried it out. Now, I won't grow cucumbers any other way. But that isn't squash.

I would like to buy some squash seed that I can trellis as well. Online, using "Climbing" or "Trellising" Squash does not lead to a lot of results. So, I thought I would ask you all for your ideas on varieties of squash that will grow on a trellis/fence.

Here is what I think I want (You might change my mind?) :

>The varieties can be summer or winter Squash.
>The families/households I grow squash for are - three with 4 people, two with 2 people, and one with 1 person - so no need for huge squash. The typical yellow or zucchini squash size is perfect. Smaller would be nice as well.
>Disease and squash bug/borer tolerant would be great.
>Any color or shape.
>I personally, like varieties of any vegetable that pre-dates 1950 - the-older-the-better.

I plan on growing a 40' row of bush type squash too. Yellow Crookneck (Pre-Columbus) and White Scallop (Pre-1600s) squash. But all those I grow for love the zucchini squash too...maybe one to grow on the trellis if there is a zucchini that grows vines instead of a bush?

A lot of things to think about, and that's why I'm asking way ahead of time. Any and all ideas/thoughts are very appreciated.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote