View Single Post
Old September 28, 2018   #4
greenthumbomaha
Tomatovillian™

Thanks for your replies!

PH, I had too long a stretch between rows, about 6 rows before a walking path 2 feet wide and another 90 degrees at at 10 feet. In another words a tic tak board design. This made it easier to weed, or so I thought. I have on hand 4' dewitt sunbelt and dewitt pro 5 ,and they have the one foot stripes for rows but I went I went off stripe when overlapping. What I neglected to consider at the time of planting was the timing of harvest. I had to dig up rows of plants that were still green to access plants that were drying sown quickly. I hope to minimize this harvest situation by grouping the plants into like harvest time varieties.

I have only 15-25 cloves of each variety, and probably too many varieties. I was considering a 3 X 3 of each variety, instead of a 10' long row of one in a with 2' walking paths (mine was 6' which is where I went wrong) in a repeating pattern. I can used the entire area but would like to save some space for other crops.

Bower, that is helpful and a surprise! I was going to place the porcelain at the end. You saved me from stepping over plants again, as I was going to plant left to right. I found a link to a faq seed savers project from 2006 when a project for preservation began which listed harvest windows for the different varieties. Always exceptions, trying to digest.

I'll post photos of saved garlic for possible classification. We are in for a stretch of wet weather so tilling has been put on hold.

- Lisa
greenthumbomaha is offline   Reply With Quote