View Single Post
Old May 6, 2018   #26
decherdt
Tomatovillian™

Here is that google "Elbon Rye" link
I think I read to plant between Labor Day and Thanksgiving? but Sept is too hot around here. I have sown as early as 10/02/16 or as late as 12/02/14. Only real trick is to make sure to get good coverage. I will till the Summer cover under with some N fert, broadcast sow over close raked grooves, rake over, sow again on top and drag a pc of plywood over it all, then water daily for a week, then weekly for a month, then let it alone. Never looks like much until March. Then just mow it along with the rest of the yard. I think you can till it then and still be ok, but I want it for no till mulch and could not get it to kill at that stage anyways. Have used post hole digger but now using a red razorback trenching shovel. The rye dies back after it heads, maybe early May-ish here. If you can cut or crimp it just before it heads, it will kill then and not reseed. It can become a nuisance "weed."A no till side effect is that Spring rain does not effect my plant out schedule, can plant just a couple days after rain.