View Single Post
Old June 14, 2018   #341
AlittleSalt
BANNED FOR LIFE

Today was another 100F / 37.7C day, and the plants don't like it that hot. Not just the container plants, but all of them. There is a drought happening this year - even though it's not official yet. Unless it starts raining really soon, the local news will start reporting it.

The tomato leaves in the containers are starting to show some sunscald. Supposedly there's a chance of lower temperatures and rain next week - that would help. I'm not giving up on these plants in any way. I have 4 Black Krim tomatoes growing larger each day, and lots of cherry tomatoes needing a break from the heat, but they're still putting on flowers and fruit that is still green. Sungold has some tomatoes that I will pick tomorrow morning. I have 12 tomato plants in buckets now, but it's difficult walking between rows even at 5 feet apart.

Still, it's time for me to start thinking about starting fall garden tomato seeds as soon as... tomorrow June 15th. (Wow, that snuck up on me.) It's recommended to start fall tomato seeds around the forth of July here, but that's actually kind of late. I haven't thought about which varieties to grow yet other than at least one Porter plant. I am only going to grow 8 tomato plants this fall.
AlittleSalt is offline   Reply With Quote