View Single Post
Old February 12, 2006   #28
Love2Troll
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
JT,
I was thinking all weekend that at 150g each that's about six to the kilo so they are some really nice-sized peppers.
Grub,

I shouldn't have suggested that all the pods would be that large, and in fact is really rare to get that size. My largest ever yellow rocoto was about half that size and the majority are about one fourth. Still darn nice pods! Rather like growing tomatoes... keep saving seeds from plants that grow large fruit and eventually you might be blessed with great seed. C. pubescens has been cultivated for a longer time than any other capsicum species and is only natural to save seed from the best pods.

Fusion,

I am still reading books from that box you sent me! Your gift was so totally unexpected and I sure owe you big time.

My memory is failing me again & I can't remember what is called, but C. pubescens have another heat producing substance in addition to capsaicin. Some people are more genetically disposed to feeling this sweet pain than others. Am guessing obnoxious boyfriend might have been one of those 'fortunate' people.

Crossing.... would I ever like to have say a Datil or Scotch Bonnet/Rocoto cross! You betcha!

jt
Love2Troll is offline   Reply With Quote