View Single Post
Old May 25, 2018   #59
FourOaks
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by PureHarvest View Post
FO, I hate to be "that guy", but if the lumber aorund your raised bed is pressure treated, your lettuce would not be organic. PT lumber is not allowed in OG production.
I believe most inspectors allow it if it is painted first before installing.
Just wanted to throw that out there in case it ever came up.

Nope, no problem at all. If I was interested in becoming "Certified" then I might feel a sense of urgency. I have no interest, at all.

I should have been more clear. The other 3 Beds that already exist were constructed of regular 2x10's. They currently have Snap Peas in them, which are about done for. As soon those come out, the beds will be topped off with more compost/leaf mulch, then my Lettuce blend will be sown.

As far as my recent construction of PT Beds, I plan to re-purpose the lumber for another project, somewhere else. That does include the recent PT Beds in the tunnel as well. These will all be removed. Im hoping that my other project, the one involving the Wood Mulch pays off. If there is good signs there, then I plan to use the Wood Mulch in the tunnel, with an attempt to improve the soil.

When I talk to customers, I tell them that my Farm is transitioning to an Organic Farm. I explain the nuts and bolts if they want to talk about it, and they realize that a transition takes time. Most folks are happy with that and that we are local. They are even more pleased when I explain that in the last 18 years, I have never sprayed plants with Herbicides and Pesticides. From engaging with people, this seems to rank up there, pretty darn high. So from my standpoint, the critical changes have been with Fertilizer/Soil Building. Also funny enough, this is the first year that I built beds with PT. I have always used standard lumber. Go figure.

I have only met a handful of people that this wasnt good enough for. I have not lost any sleep over it.

Last edited by FourOaks; May 25, 2018 at 09:22 AM.
FourOaks is offline   Reply With Quote