View Single Post
Old April 7, 2007   #8
feldon30
Tomatovillian™

You've touched on one of the main points.

Starting COLD potatoes SKIN ON in COLD WATER and then not bringing them to a violent boil but a gentle boil breaks down the potatoes in a much better way that prevents that gluey, starchiness. Also, when you drain the potatoes, save about a cup of the water that you cooked the potatoes in. With some salad tongs and quick work, you should be able to slip the peels off the potatoes if you want to do that.

When you do add butter, cream, milk, etc. microwave them first so they do not cool down the potatoes. I try to have at least 50% of what I am adding be fat -- butter or cream -- to go with the milk and water to prevent the potatoes from "breaking". If the potatoes start to get too thick, add the reserved hot potato water to thin them out.

It's entirely optional, but I do like to toast some garlic cloves in a dry non-stick frying pan for about 7 minutes, then put them on a cutting board and flatten them with a broad knife and hitting it with the palm of my hand so the cloves slip out of their skins. Then I roughly chop the garlic and add it to the potatoes, along with salt, cracked pepper, and freshly chopped Italian parsley.
feldon30 is offline   Reply With Quote