View Single Post
Old March 27, 2021   #15
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I always allow at least three weeks more time from seed starting with grafting to plant out. It takes at least a week to get the graft to heal enough to take it out of the healing chamber then almost a week before it really starts to grow again. Then you need at least a week or preferably two with the grafted plants outside where the wind and weather can toughen them up enough to set them out. I got impatient too many times only to find my freshly planted grafted tomato plant separated at the graft juncture due to a storm or too much wind.

This has been the worst year yet for me in grafting success due to damping off in the healing chambers. No mater how sterile everything is they are damping off at a far higher rate than normal and I think it is due to the long wet period we had from January through most of March. I had a lot of seedlings damp off even planted in DE due to the dank conditions we have been experiencing until the last two weeks. My first two batches were a total loss and my third only about a third made it because I removed them from the healing chamber two days early and I'm glad I did. I have hopes for more success now that the clammy weather is almost over.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote