View Single Post
Old December 7, 2019   #5
bower
Tomatovillian™

Let me know how it works out, Oakley.

So far I've put out my borax bait - okay I dropped a few big nasty blobs into the cracks/ areas I thought ants would have to get in through, if anywhere.
And I gave the cilantro pot where I found them today a heavy dusting of baking soda on the inside soil surface around the sides. And the poor dill I stuck in the greenhouse yesterday got totally doused in soda as well. The cold out there can only slow the aphids down, it won't stop em although it may kill the dill. We'll see...

The ant bait recipe which worked for me, and which is still usable and liquid in the sealed dispenser:

1/3 cup borax
1 cup sugar
enough water to bring level to two cups
1 box expired pectin

I improvised with the expired pectin powder because I had some and because it was not the consistency I wanted for drops, so without that you'd want less water I reckon. It worked really well though, they went for it.

Commercial ant bait drops are expensive! And worst of it, the bottle always gets gummed up and won't give a drop before they're used up. My drops with the pectin are in a dish soap type of dispenser which you push the tip down to close. Otherwise, the drops themselves do dry out in a few days and need to be renewed.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote