View Single Post
Old February 15, 2013   #49
Boutique Tomatoes
Tomatovillian™

I don't know, but I think this thread has diverged a bit from the original intent.

I completely agree that selling unstable lines without proper labeling isn't a particularly nice thing to do. However we can't do anything about the way anyone runs their business. As has been stated, there is a market that is interested in these lines with proper labeling. And some without proper labeling, Tom Wagners line's are not identified as to what generation they are yet find a ready market. Everything will eventually find equilibrium, to each their own.

I also read into the original post a bit of a rail against using commercial hybrids in breeding, but I don't entirely agree with that. For some things it makes sense for am independant breeder. For example the license fees for some of the NCSU lines definately put them out of reach for a hobbiest, but Dr. Gardner advised me to just grow out one of the commercial lines to get the genes I wanted for a project. And if you look at the release notices, some of the NCSU releases (NC1 rinEC for one) have an unknown hybrid purchased at a local supermarket in their parentage. So even the pro's have successfully done this.

This is starting to look like it belongs in the "Your 2˘ Worth" forum.
Boutique Tomatoes is offline   Reply With Quote