View Single Post
Old September 6, 2015   #48
ContainerTed
Tomatovillian™

Nice plate, Sue. Looks like about 150 or so seeds, all nicely sized. I'm curious as to whether or not you are finding the seeds sticking a bit to that "coated" paper plate. I have always used "uncoated" simply for the reason that when the seeds are just about done drying, they release from the paper plate and are easily pushed around. I've always felt like the uncoated plates absorb some of the moisture from the seeds and therefore expedite the drying process.

Seaeagle, if you want the stink in your house, then by all means don't cover your containers. But if you want to control the stink and keep things inside where they are less susceptible to catastrophic events, then put the lids on and gain control of the process. Either way, both roads lead to the desired destination.

I've always looked for ways of doing this that are "less messy" and less "stinky". The formation of blocks and mats of fungus simply tell us how much fungus in on the top of the mixture. When the fungus at the top of the liquid becomes more and more concentrated, excess comes out of solution and is manifested as floating particles. I don't think the particles are reacting with the seeds as much as the fungus that's still in solution. By swirling once or twice a day from the beginning, the fungus is dispersed thruout the liquid more evenly. When the fungus begins to come out of solution and form solids, then one can assume the concentration of fungus still in solution is very high.

Personally, I want the maximum concentration of fungus to stay in solution where it has easier contact with the outer surface of the seeds. Just my preference, yours may be different.
The Muddy Bucket Farm
and Tomato Ranch

ContainerTed is offline   Reply With Quote