Thread: fusarium wilt
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2011   #33
b54red
Tomatovillian™

Raybo I do grow a few in containers but the size of the plants and the bother of watering make it really much easier to grow in the garden. I don't really like container gardening except during the winter and very early spring in order to beat the cold weather. I hate going out and watering sometimes twice a day in our heat and sometimes my container plants get fusarium anyway.

Despite my loses each year I usually have a huge crop of tomatoes that I pick all season long. Last year despite losing 50% of my plants before getting a single ripe fruit off of any of them I still managed to pick over 1500 regular or full size tomatoes by August and many cherries also. This morning I picked 2 Jetsetters, 3 Mazarinis (about a pound each), 2 Red Siberians, and a 20 ounce Gildo Pietroboni. Of the first 50 plants I put out I have lost about a dozen without getting any fruit from them and still have over a half dozen showing no obvious signs of fusarium.

As I've posted before I could grow nothing but fusarium resistant hybrids which I did for a long time but I really enjoy the variety I get with the heirlooms despite the added problems. I'm constantly amazed at the sizes, shapes, colors, tastes and growth patterns of these tomatoes and so as long as I am physically able I will continue to grow these great tomatoes.
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote