Thread: New Hoop House
View Single Post
Old February 29, 2016   #25
Uncle Doss
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Everyone goes through the same learning curve. I have met multiple people who cooked all of their plants, because the county extension agent told them that roll-up sides were optional.

Unless you open up a similar portion of the end as in my scissor door pic, on a sunny day with no wind, you're going to be 30-40 degrees above the outside temperature, even with windows open. That's fine when it's 50. But when it's 80 or 90 outside, your greenhouse is going to be a solar oven. Small windows might work on a windy day, but you can't count on that wind to be there all the time.
I suppose I can see your point, so maybe I should back up and tell every detail of everything.
First off, this isn't my first rodeo with a greenhouse, I never implied it was, I do have experience with a greenhouse of my own in the past and one of a neighbor.

the windows that will be in the end are 44 inches wide each. If I have room there will be 2 of those and a 30 inch wide in the far end, and 3 of the 30 inch wide windows in the door end, one being in the door itself.
I have 2, 20 inch fans that will be mounted in front of the windows on the far end to pull air out. Though I haven't ordered it yet, those will likely be hooked up to a thermo-cube.
I suppose I should also say, most of the summer, this probably won't even be used. the point of even having this is to get my seedlings out of my seet starting room and give them more natural light. I currently have a bit over 1100 peppers started and am out of room in my starting room and still need to get 400-600 tomatoes planted.
if it is going to end up being used, by summer time I will have a shade cloth over it as well.