View Single Post
Old March 9, 2014   #8
fireman949
Tomatovillian™

Here is a quick update - with the nice weather forecast and the aggressive hardening off I did the past 3 days, I decided to pot up what I'm going to give away and plant what I'm going to use. Here are some pics from my adventures:

All the 4" potted tomatoes looked like this:

Here is the German Johnson ready to go in the bed. Peeking out from behind the wall o waters is a Gold Medal and a Mortgage Lifter

Not too deep - according to Charles Wilbur - they know what to do... (don't know if that is true, but it has worked for me).

Happy in the new home - ready for the wall-o-water

The rest of the tomatoes got a potting up

I intend to keep them until early April after I'm sure my transplants took well and give away what I'm not going to use.

In the mix is German Johnson, Gold Medal, Mortgage Lifter, Yellow Pear (cherry), and Matt's Wild Cherry.

Because of the way I grow, I use one of my 16' x 4' raised beds every year for tomatoes. They grew last year to be about 10' tall and 3' wide using concrete reinforcement wire tomato cages so I am limited to about 5 tomatoes. This year, I'm giving the 3 full size tomatoes their own cage and my two cherry tomatoes will share the last cage.

This should be a fun year !! (sorry for all the pics)
fireman949 is offline   Reply With Quote