View Single Post
Old October 24, 2014   #5
PaddyMc
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Paddy, I just saw this thread and have to ask about how many crosses do you do each year and how much room do you have to grow out F2's and more from other selections each year?

BTW , it's Sudduth, not Suddith, as in Doris Sudduth Hill who originally sent the seeds for Brandywine to Ben Quisenberry as also noted in Tania's page for it,

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/w...e,_Sudduth%27s

Carolyn
One year I did 105 crosses, but most years I do between 10 and 20. Most of them never see dirt. I have a super easy climate for getting crosses to take, so if I have an idea, I just do it, and decide later if I want to work with it. I grow about 500 segregates per year (plus 60 OP's), and a friend of mine a few blocks away does 100 more seg's for me every year. It lets me do about 30 segregating lines per year (I like to try to do 20 per seg for F2's and 3's and 10 each for F4's and 5's). So if what interests me in a given year is an F5, then I'll do extra F2's or 3's of something else. Optimally I'd love to do 50 plants per segregating line, but then I'd be a farmer not a gardener.
PaddyMc is offline   Reply With Quote