Thread: Black Mold
View Single Post
Old October 5, 2017   #18
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn137 View Post
Smelly Penicilliums? Perhaps but when I think of Penicilliums I'm thinking the band and good ones and here's a Google search I did a couple of days ago.

https://www.google.com/search?q=Peni...&bih=815&dpr=1

I always remembered the good one,the one that produces penicillin, as P.notatum, but I was wrong, they changed the name to a new one I'd never heard of.

During my years of teaching Microbiology, now with DNA snips available there have been many name changes.

The one I remember best was Aerobacter aerogenes which got changed to Enterobacter aerogenes.

Carolyn
I don't know what species is common here, but it is a blue one and very common here in the woods. I used to burn wood for heat, so got acquainted with the molds that grow on firewood (especially birch) when I was doing that myco course, only to genus though as we didn't have keys to take us to species. I thought all the Pennicilliums produced penicillin, but I guess not so. It would be easy to 'grow your own' on a wet stack of birch, if it is one of those.
Yes things are sure different these days. I got tired of them changing the names of the mushrooms I eat. Too hard to remember name changes, pet names will do. Some things turned out to be not related at all, when they looked at DNA.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote