View Single Post
Old March 12, 2018   #11
MadCow333
Tomatovillian™

Okay, despite my work schedule, and having just enough tomatoes for 1/2 recipe, I did cook sauce 40 minutes in there, then stuck it in the fridge. . I'll work on it some more today. Seems like the technique works, though.

There are several decent brands of pressure cooker. Instant Pot has great customer service and spare parts availability. There is a new $200 IP to be released this summer that runs at 15 psi for canning, but the original release is 6 qt.size.

GoWise, Crock Pot, Power Pressure cooker XL, Fagor, and enen the Ambiano that Aldi sells once a year seem pretty well liked. Check your local Facebook marketplace, Craigslist, Goodwill, and liquidator stores for deals. Lots of people bought of received pressure cookers for Christmas and decided it's not their thing. Target and Walmart dump their used returns a liquidators and Goodwill. I paid $30 for my 3qt Lux at a liquidator. I used it for my marinara sauce test.

The Instant Pot Gem isn't a pressure cooker. It's a roaster / slow cooker. That's the recalled one, but I don't own one.

Eta: The 6qt Magic Chef that Home Depot sells is also good. Watch for it to go on sale. $49 was the sale price when I bought mine. It was $60 for a couple of weeks, recently. It has low pressure on steam and fish presets, and you must use present times instead of set whatever time you want. Otherwise, it's just like the Instant Pot Duo60. It can use IP's gaskets, and people say the inner pot, too. It comes with a stainless inner pot.

I got my Magic Chef July 4 weekend for $49. Then got an Instant Pot Duo Plus 6 qt for $74 during Cyber week. The actual Instant Pot is not much upgrade, and the Magic Chef was really a steal at $49. Instant Pot lowest sale prices have been Amazon Prime Day, and the stretch from Black Friday through Cyber Week. Cyber week featured a different IP model for just a day or 2, then its price went back up. Kohl's sales using Kohl's charge and Kohl's cash and stacked coupons are the best way to get a new one at other times of the year.

Last edited by MadCow333; March 12, 2018 at 09:32 AM.
MadCow333 is offline   Reply With Quote