Thread: Big cheef
View Single Post
Old January 6, 2016   #11
travis
Tomatovillian™

Big Cheer, Pink came about, best I can remember, when Ami said he found a "red" tomato from seeds I sent him for Big Cheer (purple). Correct me if I'm wrong, Ami.

Then when I grew out seeds Aim returned, I got an extra large, more flattened PINK beefsteak tomato, potato leaf foliage, as with the original purple (maroon) Big Cheef.

This is how I remember it, but that was nearly 6 years ago. So, if my memory is faulty, Ami can correct me.

My name is Bill Jeffers, and Ami is Ted Corbett, for your reference in regard to Tatiana's info.

I hope my info is correct, and that it clears up any "confusion" as to Big Cheef (maroon) vs. Big Cheef, Pink. Personally, I don't find the naming process to be any different than dozens of other named varieties that came about in a similar progression.

And as to "tasteless," the Big Cheef, Pink that I grew, while it was not as boldly flavored as its maroon sister line, was far from "tasteless." As with many pink tomato lines that segregate from purple tomato outcrosses, it did not have the same degree of sweetness laced with the earthier or "smokey" undertones attributed to maroon tomatoes. And the Pink line seemed significantly more aggressive in terms of foliage growth. I have not grown it for about 4 or 5 years, but maybe I should revisit it this summer.

I think a lot of the experiences shared here and other threads regarding "bland" or "tasteless" tomatoes from the same varieties that other folks describe as superior are more a function of climate, weather, irrigation, and soil conditions than "personal taste." Fact is, watered down tomatoes yield watered down flavor.

Last edited by travis; January 6, 2016 at 11:36 AM.
travis is offline   Reply With Quote