View Single Post
Old February 11, 2010   #19
brokenbar
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi-sunflower View Post
I tried the Shimmeig hollow stuffer before we even moved up here 9more than 20 years ago) because I thought it would be something chefs would like. But they are too darned small to be worthwhile for them for anything other than an appetizer.

We grew Yellow Ruffled last year and it's bigger but still rather small.

Are there any stuffers that are larger ?? Like about the size of a medium green pepper.

Carol
Carol, I think "Dad's Mug" is larger and Schmmeig Striped Hollow. There is also Burgess Stuffing, Ruffled Red, Coursen's Roy, Zapotec Pleated, Red Cup, Gezahnte, Tlacalula, Pink Accordian which is VERY large and Russo Sicilian Togeta. Russo Sicilian Togeta is my favortie tomato of all time. It sets fruit in heat, cold, wind or whatever. It pumps out tons of medium to large sized tomatoes on a shorter indeterminate vine. Ripens early and is bothered by nothing. Semi-hollow, this is an excellent drying tomato and/or sauce tomato. I always say if I was stranded on a dessert island, this is the one I would take with me...The strain I have has always been much larger than descriptions at other sites (and this can be hard to find...) I think Marianna's and Tomato Fest both may carry it. There are probably more stuffer varieties I am unaware of also.

I found: Beauty Lottringa, Canadian Stuffing, Brown Derby Mixed, Gogoshari Striped , Giant Oxheart, IPK T 973 (Cuba), Zakopane, Sierra Leone, Hallo, Gnom, Liberty Bell, Mauve, Novogogoshary & Zomok in the Seed Saver's Catalog but my husband has not grown any of those.

Last edited by brokenbar; February 11, 2010 at 01:53 PM.
brokenbar is offline   Reply With Quote