View Single Post
Old May 13, 2023   #15
rockman
Tomatovillian™

The garden berries on the right are Sure Crop june berries. Got some starts from my Dad in 1980. They do well in are area. When they get crowded and slow down producing, in late June when they quit bearing I till down the middle and let the runners fill in. Then the next year or two till the outside rows. This way you will always have young plants. If you want to have all new plants for the next year, dig the new runner plants, till the area, put plants back. When doing the second way I wait till early fall when not so hot, and leave as many leaves on the plant as possible for shade. Once the plant starts growing good from the center, you may want to trim some of the old leaves off. This works well for us. Our garden is in a flood plain along side a 30' wide crick. From the years of flooding we have very sandy soil. In the spring I cover the beds with 2" compost around the plants to hold in moisture. And yes we have picked berries under water We also have a patch on high ground with normal top dirt. Plants get 5-6 hours sun and are easier to take care of. The output is 3/4 of our bottom berries. rockman
rockman is offline   Reply With Quote