View Single Post
Old July 22, 2013   #15
RobinB
Tomatovillian™

Default Russian Mini Yellow

Hey, Patty B! I hope your season is off to a great start!

I've been picking Russian Mini Yellow since July 2 (it took 66 days), but just picked the first Mini Yellow this morning (it took only 49 days). They look the same, taste the same, and grow the same. The one thing that I can't say is the same is the DTM. I was unable to put one of each variety out in a Wall O'Water, so the "regular" MY got put in the ground in early June and the RMY got to be inside a WOW in late April... I suppose it's possible that mine is just a slightly earlier selection? More likely, they are the same but just weren't put out under exactly the same conditions.

For those of you who don't know what we're talking about, Mini Yellow is a tomato that I bought seeds for on eBay about eight years ago. I've grown it ever since, and I was told it is from Siberia. It is the earliest tomato that I've grown (usually around 50-55 DTM) and they are sweet from day one. The fruit are tiny and marble-sized, pale yellow with bright yellow shoulders. The plant is a compact indeterminate, 4-5' by the end of the season. It produces hundreds of fruit per plant.

I was thinking that I might have a problem with too many tiny yellow tomatoes, but so far my son is keeping the RMY picked clean!

I'm not in a position to take photos of the Mini Yellow right now, but here is a photo of the RMY:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RussianMiniYellow07-02.jpg (186.8 KB, 47 views)
RobinB is offline   Reply With Quote