View Single Post
Old February 2, 2008   #5
Jesse
Tomatovillian™

Default Kentucky Tomato Growers

I did a lot of growing up in Kentucky, way back in the mountains, near Middlesboro, from 1959 to 1969. We had a 2 room "slab" cabin with no electricity and no running water, unless you count the spring or creek.
I was raised by my Grandparents. Grandfather made $66 a month as a night watchman for the mines, so we didn't spend a lot on garden seeds. We grew most of what we ate and saved our own seeds from one year to the next. Most all the folks I knew did that.
Those seeds had been passed down through the generations. Everybody grew the same stuff, near as I can remember. They didn't have time to experiment with fancy, unknown seeds. The success of their gardens meant survival.
If you were to ask my Grandfather what variety of tomatoes he grew, he'd tell you, "Big red ones, big yellow ones and little red tommytoes." If you'd ask if they were Beefsteaks or Brandywines or some such, he'd just shake his head and laugh. He really didn't know and didn't care to know. He knew they grew well, year after year, and that's what counted to him.
So, Larry D., don't feel too bad about not asking your Grandmother what variety of tomatoes she grew in Kentucky. Chances are, she didn't know.
-Jesse in Ohio
Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote