View Single Post
Old July 3, 2016   #9
StrongPlant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenO View Post
I agree for commercial growers F1 hybrids are likely best. For myself though, I love the recessive traits only found in OP tomatoes Potato leaf for example, blacks and stripes and bicolour and shapes besides round. More complex and delicious flavours (by far) in my opinion in OP tomatoes. These are the reasons I personally prefer them to F1's in general for my home garden and also for my own small breeding projects
KarenO
You can also make vigorous F1's with the recessive trait,but I guess it would take way more time.Tomatoes in my opinion "love" to cross with genetically different plants and their offspring ussualy benefits from it.Have you noticed for example that most potato-leaved varieties have protruding stigmas? As if they are so inbred that they are begging to be polinated with some pollen other than their own.Plants are very resistant to inbreeding,but even they ussualy prefer outcrossing.I think many recessive traits that some OP varieties have are interesting and pretty to look at,but they are recessive for a reason-they,again-ussualy,we can't generalize anything,are making the plant less fit in some way.That's why I'm pretty unintrested in them and don't want them in my plants,but I don't want to see them purged from entire world of course

Quote:
Originally Posted by bower
What is the disease that troubles you the most in Serbia?
Well this year,I had an aphid infestation.And with them come the viral diseases.The worst one was curly top,I think it's the full name is beet curly top,but most of the plants recovered from it once the aphids were eliminated by ladybugs and howerflies.I thought for sure the virus is going to completely destroy them all because they looked horrible with thinned leaves,and some of them did die,but most recovered completely to my amazement.The usual fungal diseases like early and late blights are typical,and I have just recently noticed alternaria stem canker on one plant.But this year the biggest problem by far are those gross stinkbugs...I'm trying to figure out how to protect the fruits because there are too many and they don't seem to have natural predators,so they poke the fruits until they rot from it.I absolutely hate them
StrongPlant is offline   Reply With Quote