View Single Post
Old July 21, 2011   #54
Dewayne mater
Tomatovillian™

Looking back, I posted last year that I did the following (which worked for me)

I've been using the calmag plus product outlined above at a 2 tsp per gallon rate, which I believe is about 19% calcium, on each fill up of my tainers. It has been hot and fill ups are every other day. I let them get to the 3rd full day once and one of them was out of water and plants drooping. (fill up and top watering and the plants sprung back to life ain a few hours and look great) Unfortunately, I'm still seeing BER. I've pulled at least 2 dozen fruit with probably 18-20 being Stupice, 6 being Goose Creek and this morning I actualy had 2 black cherry toms with BER. Completely unaffected so far are Indian Stripe and Black and Brown Boar. I think the number of newly affected fruit may be fewer, but it is difficult to say for sure.

I stuck with that approach on every fill up for about 3 weeks. By then, the BBER was a distant memory and I started putting in a more general fertilizer instead. Thinking back, I blew it this year by not adding the liquid fertilizers before it got really hot. The BER problem last year should have taught me the lesson that this form of hydroponic growing, the maters like a liquid fertilizer in their drink. It could be that plants need to grow really quickly in Texas bc it soon gets too hot for much success, it could be that heat sucks out the fertilizer fast. Whatever the reason, next time, I'm going to put a good liquid fertilize in every 3rd fill up whether they need it or not.

Good luck.
Dewayne mater is offline   Reply With Quote