View Single Post
Old August 18, 2006   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Most of us have to go by a catalog's description. Maybe there should be other companies who receive a big thumbs down for the descriptions in their catalogs.

Absolutely, and it's something that has been talked about as long as I've been in this heirloom tomato field.

But at least Jere's description names the tomato variety correctly as does Glenn's, and that's good.

Commercial places are in the position of oft times exagerating a varietie's traits to sell more seed, as we all know, and that's why it's good that there are several message sites where one can ask about varieties and get answers from folks who have grown the variety.

So yes, some places are much more accurate than others.

And neither Baker Creek nor Sandhill come close to what Amishland has the capacity to do, and has done, with some burbs/

When I recommend companies I always include accuracy of blurbs and pictures when that's part of a site, as part of what one should look for, along with seed purity, age of seeds sold and service. No place is perfect when dealing with OP seeds, but some are much better than others.