View Single Post
Old January 16, 2018   #37
crmauch
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajun Gardener View Post
This thread is right on time!!

Last year I crossed a Compari X George Detsikas. I have a plant growing now in a friends greenhouse and just picked a lower fruit off the plant because it looks terrible and is the smallest, the others aren't blushing yet and I'll get better fruit later to keep seeds.

It has the ribbing from GD and is growing tall like the Compari. This isn't ripe yet but you can see the shape. The other ripe tomato is a cross from Compari X Rebell Yell F-1 fruit.

My question is, will I be able to get plants that are bigger than Compari with the ribbing and cherry type growth?
<My question is, will I be able to get plants that are bigger than Compari with the ribbing and cherry type growth?>

Do you mean 'fruits that are bigger that Compari' and what are you specifying re: 'cherry type growth'.

1) Generally (there are definite exceptions) you won't be able to get fruit larger than the largest parent.

2) Ribbing should be fairly easy to retain. Ironically, in the history of tomato breeding ribbing was something bred away frum.

3) Getting size back in a cross (I believe) is one of the harder things to do, as there are many genes that have minor affects on size. You might want to consider a backcross to get size (this is just an opinion).
crmauch is offline   Reply With Quote