View Single Post
Old December 3, 2021   #28
b54red
Tomatovillian™

I forgot to follow up on this thread. When we tired of squash and the plants were so big they were making it impossible to walk down the rows between the raised bed the squash were in we pulled the plants and only one of them had a borer in it and it was still producing. The rain didn't let up for weeks but it would be light on some days so I would dust the bases every time I had a chance. When you are only dealing with a few plants it doesn't take long. I was surprised sometimes how much dust was still remaining after some of the rains especially early on when the leaves were giving the bases of the plants some protection from the rain. Of course as the plants got larger and the older leaves died the rain was more effective at washing the Sevin off.

I think I will only plant two Butta plants this coming spring since they are just so productive. Of course sometimes you get a plant that is less productive. This past season I had one like that so I pulled it early to make room for other things and I'm glad I did since I couldn't give away all the excess squash from the three remaining plants.

Bill
b54red is offline   Reply With Quote