View Single Post
Old June 21, 2021   #18
brownrexx
Tomatovillian™

According to PA State, the SVB do not emerge from their underground cocoons until late June and will not start laying eggs until July so I plant my squash early and try to get some squash before the plants get infected.

Supposedly the larvae live inside of the stems feeding for about 4 weeks so this means that the plant will not die until about 4 weeks after infection. Biologically it would not make sense for the plant to die before the larvae are mature or they would die too and not perpetuate the species.

I do not use Seven in my garden and I always get an adequate amount of squash. Currently I have only one zucchini plant and 2 yellow squash and I just planted a second crop of each. My zucchini was started indoors in April and planted in mid May. It is flowering now and has several small zucchini before the SVB's have even emerged from their cocoons.

I have also had success with injecting liquid bt into infected stems. Last summer I had zucchini plants that lived the entire season until they died just before frost.

In the southeast the SVB only has one generation but in the south they are 2 so GoDawgs will have a second emergence of these devils.
brownrexx is offline   Reply With Quote