View Single Post
Old May 23, 2010   #7
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 333.okh View Post
I am most interested in some of these colder climate tomatoes. We still have rain here in Northern California and tonight it is in the 30s F temps.
Here's a couple of suggestions.

If you go to the Seed and plant sources here you'll see a sticky at the top of that Forum.

There are two places where short season varieties are lumped together in one link at both places and that's a good place to start so you know the names of the varieties and can then search at Tatiana's website for more info about them and at Jeff's site read the blurbs for them.

So the links you need at Tatiana's T base and Casey's Heirloom tomatoes and both links are in that sticky I just referred you to.

Another suggestion is to look at the lists of varieties folks here post, usually for trading, but seldom do they describe the varieties, so it's important to know which ones interest you. Most of the trading is done in the Jan to march time span.

Some folks, like myself, are not interested in trades so post free seed offers in the Seed Trades subforum.

And then if you can't find a seed source from the two places I referred you to and you can't find a source otherwise by Googling, then after you know the variety names you can post in the Seeds Wanted subforum.

Ultimately the largest number of short season varieties will be found in the SSE YEarbook and at some point you might even consider a membership, which not only helps the SSE mission of rpeservation of OP varieties but also gives you access to many many short season varieties and in a post above I mentioned all the listings of both Tania and Andrey as well as others in the Yearbook.

Hope that helps.