View Single Post
Old May 17, 2013   #52
Fusion_power
Tomatovillian™

There is an epic lack of understanding of the way a potato grows showing up on this thread. Virtually all commercial potatoes are genetically incapable of producing multiple shoots with multiple spuds on the stolons. Tom has tried to show that there is a different type of potato that grows with a strong branching habit. I would refer to it as lateral branch fruitful because each new lateral branch that forms also has the ability to set new stolons with more spuds.

Durgan, you are correct re commercial varieties and how they grow. They do not form stolons that produce more plantlets. You are not correct in presuming that all potatoes are similar in habit. Azul Toro has the trait to some degree of producing stolons that produce new branches which then produce more spuds. I have watched as new branches emerged from the soil a foot or more from the parent plant.

Here are the potato varieties I am growing this year.

French Fingerling, Azul Toro, Chellan, Commercial Red, La Ratte, Muru, Handel, Boyde, Golfing Magic, Howie Mandel, Magic Colors, Deep Blush, Skagit Valley Gold, River Bend Red, Rosaro, Yungay, Bolivian Tree Top, Black Tom, Harry Kaighin, C97.007, Black Irish,

In addition to the above, I have 34 more hills of potatoes that are from spuds I saved from visiting Tom last fall and I have a full row of seedlings grown from TPS. Some of the seedlings look like they are going to be outstanding.

As for how much a single hill of potatoes can produce, well, there is a world record for that....

DarJones

Last edited by Fusion_power; May 17, 2013 at 11:27 PM.
Fusion_power is offline   Reply With Quote