Thread: Ramapo Tomato
View Single Post
Old November 20, 2010   #11
carolyn137
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by guruofgardens View Post
How many plants did you grow this past season from saved seed and were they all identical in every way?
With limited space, I only grew 2 of each variety I had. The 'New Jersey' plants were more resistant to the early blight than others, the fruits were about 6-8 oz., and the plants were tall and hardy, producing less than last year. Because of the blight, I plan on planting 2009's seeds - not 2010's.[/quote]

http://www.njfarmfresh.rutgers.edu/d...8-4-08_001.pdf

Here's a link that some of you nmight find interesting. IT says a lot about Ramapo, what the parents were and so much more, lots of it from the original bredder of Ramapo F1.

I'm glad your NJ plants were more tolerant of Early blight, but if they were Ramapo they would be b'c the new F1 has no genes for such tolerances, which is true for almost all other hybrids.

And I'd asked about how many plants b'c if it was Ramapo F1 and you'd put out enough plants you might have seen the gene segregation that I saw when I made selections from it to get it to the OP state.

So if it were me and I liked it, I'd continue to grow it and as long as you processed the seeds from 2010, and for that matter from 2009 there should be not be an issue of seedborne Early Blight.

It's too bad you couldn't get more info but when the person said that he couldn't remember which seed catalog they came from that says to me that it isn't Ramapo F1 since other than possibly Harris Seeds, and I'd have to check that, the only place to get the new F1 was via Rutgers.

About seed production in Israel. Almost ALL F1 seed is produced elsewhere these days. If not ISrael, then the Netherlands, India, China, Taiwan, and more.

In the link I gave above, well maybe not, it IDed the firm that was doing the seed production....OK, I give up. I was trying to find an e-mail in my faves that I got from the man who was overseeing seed production for Ramapo in Israel, but I can't find it.

And right now without doing a lot of searching I can't remember where the Moreton F1 seeds were done , maybe Israel for them and I have the two confused?

Could be, but the point is that there's practically no F1 seed production being done in the US these days, that I do know.