View Single Post
Old March 29, 2018   #30
enchant
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobiledynamics View Post
enchant. just wondering. when did you remove the domes off. IME, they get leggy the minute they sprout.
The problem is that they sprout at different times. They start in 3x3 cells. So on the morning of day three, 2 seedlings have sprouted. By evening, 3 more have sprouted and the first are now an inch tall. On the following morning, the first two are 2" tall, a few are 1" tall, a couple more have just broken the surface, and a couple cells are still just dirt.

I really don't want to cut them all into individual cells based on their exact height. Once the majority have sprouted I take them out from the dome and put them under a light. I also don't want to micro-manage the height of each individual plant, coming up with a stand that is 1/2" shorter because a seedling has grown 1/2" taller. I can't believe that nature is that finicky. Every year my seedlings start out this leggy, and every year I wind up with thick stalks that are 8-9' tall delivering great fruit.

That said, I *do* appreciate all of the advice given, and I'm wiser thanks to that. I plan on keeping the seedlings closer to the light and I'm going to go out today and buy new lights, since the ones I have are at least 10 years old and probably aren't delivering sufficient illumination.
enchant is offline   Reply With Quote