View Single Post
Old November 14, 2017   #17
ChefBert
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginger2778 View Post
There was a question on germination, but it was other people, 2 in fact, one of them being Russ, that had the problem. People who got seeds from me and my own saved and started seeds, had no germination issues.
I wonder if it doesn't lkke your master blend Epsom salt mix. The color is excellent on your plants. Also your mix looks a bit perlite heavy, promix HP is already high perlite( hence HP), I wonder if the roots are too aerated and not enough nutrients can be absorbed. I use Promix BX, and dont add sny extra pinebark(acidic)because peat is already too acidic. And I don't add extra perlite.

OK, I think I know the problem! Get a pH meter and test the acidity. Good is 6.5 to 6.8( very very slightly acidic), bad is lower than 6, it won't absorb the nutrients well in an acid environment. I think this us much more of an issue than too much perlite. And no stray seeds came from me, I do all my seed collection one at a time, separated.

Bert,did you get my pm with my seed starting, seedling growing step by step instructions? I never heard back from you, so not sure you got them.
I doubt it was the seeds too. I use the pine bark so the containers don't develop a problem with a perched water table drowning the roots. You are probably on to something with the pH. Only thing, all my other plants are doing wonderful. Same space, same soil mix, same feeding.

I'll check back when I have a pH reading
ChefBert is offline   Reply With Quote