View Single Post
Old January 9, 2009   #10
Moonglow
Tomatovillian™

Thank you for all the replies!

Kat - this weekend I will start my seeds, and will venture into making homemade self-watering planters when all the seeds are taken care of.

Barbee - I am looking forward to growing "Black Cherry" as well. I have one (1) coming from Laurel's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshade View Post
For me, the question is more like "What am I NOT growing in containers?"
Jan - Good point! I grow most everything in containers, too. Mainly because of limited space and the little space I have is under construction (remodel).

Gobig_or_Gohome_toms - Last year was my first taste of homegrown tomatoes. I picked up four (4) seedlings at HD and potted them up in 2-gallon containers. Not smart. I had to repot them of course. The amazing thing was I still had more than enough tomatoes to feed the office. I have one (1) EB and I like the ease of set-up. I like that it's UV-protected for years of use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dice View Post
If all that you have is 5-gallon buckets or similar, one idea is to cut the bottoms off of them and set them out in the
yard or garden.
Dice - I'm going for this one as well since I cannot afford all the EBs I need.

Michael - EVERYTHING! I love that. I'm so new to this I have to Google the varieties you listed to see what they look like. I must admit my Tomato Love is still on a very superficial level since I haven't tasted many tomatoes, really. "Black Prince" is also coming from Laurel's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amideutch View Post
I love it when people say you need 18 gal to 30+ gal containers to grow Ind. heirlooms tomatoes. A few pictures from last year and containers were 5-7 gal including the 26 Qt. foam ice chests. All were watered by hand once or twice daily, no BER and lots of maters. BTW, the fence they are growing against is 2 meters tall. Ami
Ami - Thanks for the photos! That's very inspiring. I know that 5-7 gallon containers will work for me, too. Corte Madera has quite a temperate weather.

Toni - I will look into growing a few determinates this year. Now, I'm wondering why I do not have "Jaune Flamme" on my list...

Greg - I have yet to pick the dwarf tomatoes for the office patio!

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Moonglow is offline   Reply With Quote