View Single Post
Old December 2, 2017   #48
bower
Tomatovillian™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cole_Robbie View Post
Metal halide bulbs are prone to exploding when they overheat, like when confined to a small reflector hood without any airflow. Sodium bulbs will do the same, but they rupture internally, whereas the halide can blow red-hot pieces of glass everywhere.
LED bulbs will explode too if you put them in confined spaces and they overheat. I had one that busted in a clip on light with a 'hood' - I never thought of that as too confined. There was an outage and then the power came back on and the next thing I knew, sparks flying out of the lamp, luckily I was able to unplug it. Both the bulb and the lamp, permanently dead after that.

I'm glad none of my fluorescent tubes broke when tumbling out of the lousy fixtures. More of a hazard than I realized! as well.
I checked my receipts and my lights were bought the year before the recall. The stock number is different but the products are made by the same company and look to be identical, down to the requirement to 'snap' the connectors into place during assembly. Still worried about it, but apparently no recourse.
bower is offline   Reply With Quote