View Single Post
Old March 27, 2014   #34
nnjjohn
Tomatovillian™

Livinonfaith, I agree with you.. going to use them too for my cucumbers and squash.. going to make use of some in the narrow beds where I know they do not get in the way and for smaller plants .. but the bigger beds and plants, the florida weave method for sure. I used my tomato cages for years and the cons are 1) too small for the big plants 2) tough to weed and hill around the base of my plants because the four wires are in the way 3) they need additional support and fall over when mature plants weigh or storm winds blow. 4) the wire is too thin and the vines usually need twine support anyway or the vine breaks on the thin cage wire. 5) they eventually rust at the bottom and break after a few seasons and aren't cheap compared to bamboo or 2x2x8 or 1x2x8 pine wood stakes which can be cut to length and fewer to set for your plant support requirements. 6) Cages are harder to set up and maintain and picking fruit is harder compared to maneuvering between a Florida weave row. I think I covered everything

Last edited by nnjjohn; March 27, 2014 at 10:24 AM. Reason: edit
nnjjohn is offline   Reply With Quote