View Single Post
Old April 2, 2022   #9
cwavec
Tomatovillian™

Doubt very much that it is the same "product". There are two main bacterial strains
in this market. These two are the same one, QST713. My memory is a bit short but
I believe this was (is) the same as in Serenade. (And Natria I suppose) This is made in Mexico, as was Serenade, just before it was discontinued. So there's a good chance it is made in the same facility. To my mind, however, in this field, the idea of "product" is defined more by what the seller's claims are than by the contents of the container. Bayer, in fact,
had differentiated the same preparation into several different "product" lines with
varying specifications. Through last year, although I don't know about this year, you
could still buy "Serenade", only it had to be in a 10 quart quantity and it was no
longer considered suitable for home garden use.

"Serenade" was originated by a company called Agraquest back in the 1990s and
sold to Bayer around, I believe 2013. This means that the patents are soon to
be expired , if not already so. And incidentally, a slew of similar (or identical)
products are now entering the market. So my guess is that either Bayer is squeezing
the last few drops of juice out of its lemon by licensing for a season or two or
possibly by controlling the sole manufacturing facility.

Not to quibble too much, though obviously I am, and considering the antics of
these companies, you can probably forget about ever knowing the true origin
or actual composition of your biofungicide.
cwavec is offline   Reply With Quote