View Single Post
Old June 17, 2012   #9
Sun City Linda
Tomatovillian™

I think it is a fair statement that, all things being equal, any gardener would prefer to "be organic." But alas, I am not a spring chicken. I still work and I am pretty active in a volunteer situation. I had a really poor year with organic ferts in my EBs this year. My plants were clearly lacking nutrition and more disease than I have ever had, despite a relatively dry spring.

I have been around forums long enought to understand it is certainly possible to grow organic in containers. Many of you do a wonderful job of it. It seems however that is is much more complicated and costly. Many more things to go wrong and then, once the nutrition is off, everything goes to,.....well, you know. So, as far as container gardening goes, all things are not very equal, at least to me!

I grow in Earthboxes and I do place the synthetic ferts in a nylon stocking for easy removal at the end of a season. Ami, I just read about the effects of high P. Interestingly, some fertilizer manufacturers are touting synthetic and organic blends in their solid fert line.
Sun City Linda is offline   Reply With Quote